ATTN: MOONRISE KINGDOM SUPER FANS: Today I had the pleasure of taking a Moonrise Kingdom road trip through the beautiful state of Rhode Island. These are a few of the filling locations from the movie, and the scenery is just as beautiful in person as it is in the film! The locations are not too far apart either which makes this road trip totally affordable. Here are the locations in the order posted above(which is the order in which I visited them), and some tips on finding them:
1. Point Judith Lighthouse, Narragansett, RI: Free! Awesome waves, beautiful views. This is the location of one of the light houses shown in the film.
2. Northern Light/Suzy Bishop’s Home, Conanicut Island/Jamestown, RI: This is one of the two homes (the other located in Wisconsin) depicted as the exterior of the Bishop home. It’s a private residence, so be respectful of that. The best views are from the water, but follow the directions given in the roadtrippers link listed below for street views.
3. Fort Wetherill State Park, Jamestown, RI: Enter the park’s second entrance to visit the beach scene location where Suzy and Sam camp out. Make sure to explore the rest of the park. The cliffs are beautiful! This is also free!
4. Castle Hill Lighthouse, Newport, RI: enter the Castle Hill Inn into your gps. Park at the far end of their parking lot (just tell the valet you are going to the light house) and look for a small white sign marking a foot path. Follow the path (2 minute walk) to the light house. It’s painted red for the movie, but it’s now painted black. This is an unbelievable view of the cliffs and ocean as well. You will recognize the light house used when Suzy looks through her binoculars in the beginning of the film. (Free again!)
5. Trinity Episcopal Church: Right in the heart of Newport, RI, here is the church used in the film. The town of Newport itself is a great place to visit too! FYI, parking is tricky around the church.
Here’s the link to the roadtrippers article: https://m.roadtrippers.com/blog/a-whimsical-road-trip-through-the-filming-locations-for-moonrise-kingdom
This was such an awesome little weekend road trip and really really recommend it for any fans of the film. Rhode Island has so much to offer and is amazing beautiful. Get out there while the fall colors are still around!
If you have any other questions, shoot us an ask!